howie day...

|
Hi. It's been a little busy this month huh? Almost time to deliver May baskets to the neighbors. Easter with family. Rockin' trip to KC to visit friends (I was going to wait to write that entry until there were some pictures to show. Cough cough. My camera is still broken, and my photographer has had a hectic schedule... so hopefully soon). Slumber party. Rockies game. And lots and lots of sunshine. That sums up April quite well.

This coming Saturday I'm in an all-day outdoor volleyball tournament. The team was kind of modge-podged together, but never fear, my super amazing planner friend Laura came through to save the day. She organized practices the last two Sundays so we could polish our skills (and boy, do we need it!). The first one we had a come and go attendance of about ten. Usually three or four on a team. And really, we're not very good. But we played for over three hours in the sun, and laughed out hineys off. Our arms throbbed from repeated beatings and we received some strange sunburns, but it was awesome to be outside enjoying such amazing weather.

Wash Park is the hang out. And when I say hang out, I mean everyone and their three dogs, kites, strollers, and rollerblades are there on the weekends. It's huge. There's a lake, tennis & basketball courts, and any variety of bustling activity happening all at once - soccer, ulitimate frisbee, washers, football, volleyball nets up everywhere. And it has a great dirt running trail with an inner paved biking trail - about 2.6 miles around. You could people watch at this place for hours and never get bored. There's all sorts and sizes - laying out in bikinis, folks loaded with piercings and chains moseying around, and lots of picnickers. Feel free to bring your own grill. All my summertime visitors will definitely get to check it out.

So anyway, this place is great. Guess I had to set the scene so you could fully envision. Today over twenty of us met up for v-ball. It was awesome. More and more people just kept coming and joining in. Another three hours of volleying, this time with six legit players on the court at all times. Turns out we're not so bad.

And there was only one injury the whole day. Somehow I was involved. I'm just going to blame it on the fact that is was toward the end of the day. And we were fairly worn out. It went down a little like this - the ball came over the net, right down the middle. Michaela and I were on opposite sides of the court, but it was landing short, which meant one of us had to go for it. Well, we both went for it. And didn't stop going for it until we crashed into one another. (Apparently both of ours' pet peeve to let a ball drop.) Her knee careened into my femur, and my shoulder flew into her upper body. Now, I don't consider myself a weenie (well, I suppose sometimes...) but there was a slightly large amount pain following the incident. Thank God we didn't smash heads.

So now my shin in nicely bruised and swollen and her knee is injured. Which I feel terrible about because she's supposed to run a 1/2 marathon next weekend. I'm sorry Michaela! Crap crap crap. Next time I think we'll call the ball.

Go team!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hee hee hee. This was hilarious!