ring-a-ling...

|
Today was a big day - I got a new haircut, a root canal, and a new cellphone. And although all three can be quite a process, the most traumatizing of the three was the phone replacement.

Most people jump at the chance to get a new gadget in their hands, and though I thought I would be the same way, today proved differently. After over two years of dedicated service by my side, my little silver Audiovox bit the dust. Not completely, but the attennae is busted, leaving my service to a minimum at most. The second I started programming my new phone, I realized how much I needed my old banged up one back. It has been through too much for me to leave it at a time like this. I mean it. My cell was a trouper. The number of times I have dropped it on cement is ridiculous. Sometimes totally three times a day. Ouch. The LCD even went out due to all the bruising, but eventually revived itself through my intense begging and encouragement.

It also had a run in with the washing machine. They didn't have much chemistry. I lovingly took it apart with an itty-bitty screwdriver and let it air dry for two days. Of course it pulled through for me - good as new the second I put it back together. In an even more unfortunate event, cellie got left at an apartment complex right next to the hub-bub of Aggievillie life for almost twenty-four hours. By the time I remembered (namely Anna remember) where it could be we had gone through a thunderstorm and weekend traffic. But there he was, huddled against the mulch, cold and shaken, but still alive. It was a proud moment.

In the most recent event, the poor cell had beverages accidentally poured on it, and although I now know how it operates, there was little I could do to save the poor guy, as his attennae fell out the second I opened him up. At that point I knew he was pretty much a goner.

And it's not just the fact that he's been so loyal. He's had a lot to deal with too. Every text message and moment caught in my sometimes dramatic college life has been captured in that phone. There are a gazillion memories wrapped up on that mini-hard drive.

So I guess I just want to say, cell phone, I'll miss you. More than you can realize. And I'm sorry I have to abandon you. It's painful for me too. (Really, I'm not kidding, it sucks.) But just remember, even though there will be others that take your place, there will never, ever, be another you. You and your ringtones will forever have my heart.

0 comments: