day two...

|
Today it was time to test my wings with public transportation. I was never much one for wandering around aimlessly in this world. If I have a question, such as what aisle something is in a store, or where a certain place is located, for example, I pretty much ask the first person I see for assistance. Call it naïve, but I suppose I just expect the majority of people to at least be a little helpful, and usually I am right. Today was no exception. As soon as I got to the station I walked over to a woman standing alone, looking fairly approachable. She definitely was. And a talker too. Nancy was a lifesaver today. She taught me about what rides to take, what to avoid, schedules, all sorts of things. And by the end of our journey I also knew routes to take for good hiking, camping, and amazing views. I never got a chance to read the book I had planned, but she was more resourceful than most knowledge one could gain by reading. I am hoping to meet up with her in our future travels.

Following my practice run to the jobsite, I stopped by a coffee shop and enjoyed banana bread on the patio. My solo trip back home was successful too – thankfully. I then spent my two weeks wages on apartment supplies. So no worries. I now own a pasta spoon, light bulbs, a shelving unit, and a paper shredder, among a thousand other items. Should be set. Ha.

After all of my purchases were put in place (sort-of) I laid out in the sun. It felt strange to finally have my own pool, and not be trespassing on the neighboring apartment complex’s swimming hole. Oops. We never used to do that. Err… only got caught once.

My big Friday night plans consisted of cozy visit to Blockbuster. Three rentals for $9.99. Oh please, oh please, I need to make friends quick! I couldn’t wait to dive into my popcorn – as pathetic as it is, I had actually waited all day to relax with a bowl and watch a movie on my 8” big screen. And then I had a devastating realization. No microwave. How can an apartment have no microwave?! *#@&^$%!!!

A stay-in movie is just not the same with a cold bowl of cereal.

P.S. I found my first shortcut today. Yes, I was/am ecstatic.

0 comments: