|
The plan was to sleep in late because nothing is going on all afternoon. Well, besides the internet guy coming over to hook up my computer. But other than that, no plans. Just relaxing. Maybe some sun soaking, etc. Early morning phone call wakes me up. And following it I just lay there. Staring at my white, white ceiling. My air mattress is going flat, the sun is shining bright through the blinds, and me trying to go back to sleep is borderline worthless. So I begin my day, groggy eyed, but somewhat bushy tailed. Um… what to do… what to do… Okay, gourmet breakfast burrito for starters. Yay. That was fun. Clean the apartment. No, I don’t want to clean my apartment! It feels so empty I think I’d rather keep it full of boxes and papers in order to take up space. Finally I get to cleaning and it looks pretty darn good. I cannot wait for my stuff to get here!

I was picked up for the baseball game at 4:15 by my second cousins and their four kids. They have been more than gracious toward me, and much to my delight invited me to use the spare ticket they had. Thank goodness, then, that I at least had Saturday night plans (okay, so I spent most of it with a children under the age of ten, some of whom thought we were watching hockey, but I had a great time nonetheless). And we enjoyed the works. Hot dogs loaded with toppings, $5.50 “fresh squeezed” lemonades, and ice cream for dessert. Yes, my stomach is not exactly agreeing with this evening’s dietary choices, but once in awhile I suppose one must splurge.

Toward the end of the night I was turned around in my seat people watching, which is what I do at all baseball games when there is a pause in events. Actually it is one of my favorite parts. I mean really, you get all sorts at a baseball game, which makes crowd scanning even more enjoyable. Of course there was the fifty-year old woman dressed and acting seventeen, the rich couple dressed in fancy pants and high heels, and the somewhat scary, partially balding, sno-cone/beer/cotton candy selling guy with such an abrasive and intrusive voice that you can’t help give him your attention, as well as half your wallet.

So there I was, scanning as usual, when all of the sudden my eyes focused on something strangely familiar. No way. Can’t be. I blink, refocus. Holy schmoley! A guy from college who was in the same club I joined a couple of years back was sitting five rows up. Here I am, in a completely different state, in the middle of a big city and BAM. Right there, someone I know, of course not “know” as in really, really well. He is more accurately described as an acquaintance, but still, a familiar face is worth a million dollars when you know less people than you can count on three fingers. He was just as shocked and excited as I was, and at first even a little dumbfounded. Couldn’t believe it. We caught up on each other’s whereabouts and will hopefully meet up sometime.

Although I knew it is true, the old saying never ceases to amaze me, “It is a small world after all.”

0 comments: