ka-BOOM...

|
We celebrated the Fourth of July at Clint's hometown. It's small town living at its finest, and I love visiting - not to mention his parents spoil us like crazy. I happen to be a huge fan of the red, white, and blue holiday. Of course I enjoy the huge displays and fancy shows, but most of all I can't ever hardly wait to light them myself. Call me a kid but going through the rinky-dink fireworks stand and picking out my favorites to shoot off later makes me pretty darn excited. At first I thought this was probably because it's one of the few times I feel really young again, but then I remembered I also continue to hunt for Easter eggs, dress up on Halloween, wake up early for Santa's deliveries on Christmas Day, umm... so I'm a kid at heart. There are very fond memories of my dad, brother and I spending an hour finding the best bargains we could come up with. Roman candles, saturn missiles, parachute men, worms, and smoke bombs frequently found their way into our shopping bag. Oh what we do for entertainment. Of course Clint easily got into the 4th spirit as well - we went to the fireworks stand with all the cash we had and happily returned home with $10 worth of goodies. As you can tell by the photo - I'm pretty darn happy to show off our purchases...
In our family we always seem to purchase a dud. Of course most people typically experience dud fireworks, but ours are consistently the ones we have the most expectations for. A huge firing army tank, spitting turtle, speeding sports car, you know the type. We have our hopes up for a great finale, only to be let down by a sputtering flame of disappointment. Well this year Clint's keen eye caught our future dud. It was in the shape and resemblance of a Budweiser bottle, and we just had to have it, failure or not (which I knew it would be). After all of our other fireworks had been lit and extinguished, and our show nearing its end, Clint proudly brought out the beer bottle, hoping for the best. Amazingly enough, it turned out to be the best one we had - a crazy sparkling fountain - at least his mom oohed and ahhed for us, and that may just be what I needed to change my mind about those darn flashy duds.
The next day we lounged around, the boys played golf, his mom and I grabbed a cappucino and chatted, etc. - just general relaxation. It was pretty muggy outside but we needed a break from the indoors, so Clint and his dad rigged up a very interesting version of Polish horseshoes. Although it is generally used as a college drinking game, we knew his parents would have a good time learning - and that we did. Three games later we were worn out and ready to head back in. I am embarrassed to say I was the biggest loser that day - the only one who lost every single game. Humbug. Must have just been bad luck :)

0 comments: