yes ma'am...

|
I suspect God has a way of humbling us when we need it most, which today was apparently the case. As silly as it may be, I was quite intimidated by the whole airport/flying process that I endured this weekend. Not only did I have to master the terminal, baggage claim business that comes with all that, I also had to figure out bus routes, more bus routes, and a mess of schedules that somehow had to work together to get me where I needed to be. But things actually went smoothly, to my honest surprise (if you omit the part when I forgot to grab my boarding pass and a flight attendant had to chase me down before I went through security). I am the type that asks if I don't know - fully aware of my limitations and willing to rely on the kindness and helpfulness of others to give me a little guidance. I have also found that it saves me a lot of time - obviously people who have been there before know what's going on. I, on the other hand, do not. So of course in order to ensure my trip has minimal difficulties, I make instant friends with the two guys beside me at the security checks... I mean it is a rather intimate situation to begin with... he takes off his jacket, you take off my shoes, he takes off his belt... ahem... well you get the picture. Anyway, they walked me right where I needed to be and I breathed a huge sigh of relief.

The trip home went easily as smooth - and I actually felt a little seasoned by this point (yep, that's me getting cocky...). Right from the plane to the terminal to baggage claim to the bus and I was well on my way to work before nine. After a long, long, long, and even more so fabulous weekend (more details later) I was a little worn out and went home half an hour early to get a some R&R before I headed out again at 6:30. From the train to the bus. I was ridiculously proud of myself for orchestrating all this - a little ridiculous, I know, but it felt like an accomplishment all on my own.

The bus took off, headed right for my stop in approximately twelve minutes. Then the bus turned right when it should have turned left. And kept going and going and going. And going. Um... PANIC! Again I rely on a friendly neighbor to tell me what the @*%#! is going on. Wrong bus - he says. Really - I say. Well, right bus, wrong direction. Just before I could get off at the first stop and transfer, the "right-right" bus droned past us and a little bit of me died inside. I sat on that bus for forty extra minutes and finally reached my destination. My little black suitcase wheeled behind me and we eventually made our way home, quite deflated and completely exhausted. Live and learn as they say, live and learn.

P.S. The photo-op is a picture of what you look like at 5AM when preparing for your "what in the world were you thinking" early flight. Of course I thought the event deserved its moment (as I feel of most things) - but don't tell Shawndra, she may never be so generous again!

0 comments: