synergy...

|
The business strategy class I am in calls for an overload of group project work, which gets rather frustrating and incredibly time consuming. They say it prepares us for the real world, when we will be in groups all the time and need to learn how to deal with that now. Fair enough. Thank goodness I have an intelligent group with decent work ethic. Well, we had all procrastinated until the very last day to finish a rough draft for a strategic analysis business plan. Dry, believe me, I know. So we all got cozy in the computer lab, knowing full well we'd be there for awhile. I was prepared to sit there for quite sometime until we were finished, I was not prepared however, for the company I would be in. The lab was packed. Granted we all have at least two group projects we are in the middle of. But Calvin lab is not designed very well for group work in the labs. And there were people every which way trying to find a seat. I kicked myself for forgetting my headphones. The creative juices were not flowing. Okay so this sounds like I just wanted to whine about my project, but really that's not it at all. I just wanted to tell the story of the interesting character I shared a desk with, and thought I should give a little background info.

First of all, this guy was big. I mean huge three hundred and some pounds huge. His friends call him "Slim". Seriously. And he was turned around backward facing partially me and partially his group. I was annoyed because I felt stared at the entire time. Granted he wasn't, but man he was right in front of me, which was distracting. The amazing thing was that the entire three hours he sat there, he did not do anything. Nothing. I couldn't believe it. He just sat there and made jokes. His group either pretended not to notice or figured it better that way. The ordeal got even better when he started getting in and out of his seat, and evertime he did, his belly hit my computer screen, and the whole thing would shake and rattle around for awhile until it could settle again. Grrr. The thing that topped the cake was when he busted out the Altoids toward the end of the night. Apparently he was running low, so he started licking the wax wrapper. Fine. That's kind of ridiculous but nothing I can't deal with. Then he proceded to lick his finger and run it all around the can to get the leftovers, which he then sucked off his fingers. Eewww. Lick finger, repeat process. Lick finger, repeat process. If he really needed more that badly I would have offered to get him a new can. Needless to say, my productivity along with my concentration at that darn computer pretty much went downhill from there. Moral of story? Brush you teeth before you come to computer lab. No, that doesn't make sense. It's okay.

0 comments: