oh homecoming...

|
Alrighty. Long time no blog. I'm sorry! I have lots more to tell than follows, but it'll just have to wait, because trust me, you will get bored of reading pages a half about my life. Really.

Last week was homecoming, which really isn't a big deal to me because I'm not Greek (props to all their hard work), but there's a lot to enjoy anyway, so I do. Well in the chaos that involves the job quite often, we decided to be in the parade with our monstrous blimp. Yay. Everyone's happy. Great, super. Then Wednesday, two days before the big event, I'm thinking, "where the heck is the blimp? Maybe we should, uh, get it to Manhattan." Like I said, it's organized, all the time. Ha. Then I realize the only person with a super nice and big truck is working that night. Strike number two. Crap. So I call Ami, whom I miss dearly as she moved up in the world and left the little restaurant, because she knows a little bit more about such operations. She said well you have helium right? Um... nope. We need helium? And the whole idea of a float starts sounding a lot more complicated - no driver, no blimp, no helium. Oopsie. Somehow, everything got pulled together. So we're rushing around like crazy people, late for lineup with a deflated blimp and four crew to pull it together. Ingenious Ami gets brewskis and puts them in large cups with straws. Perfecto. The float suddenly doesn't seem so bad. We got the blimp up in great time, and although the wind yanked me around, it looked beautiful. With a huge yellow lab in my lap, and four people in the truck bed, we head out. Let's just say I'm not the best candy thrower. I think I took some little kids out. Seriously.

By the time we hit Aggieville it got nuts. We had t-shirts to throw and everyone started screaming "Chipotle" and yelling our names and mauling us. It was ridiculous. The crowd was huge and people were swarming everywhere. Everyone wanted us to throw them burritos. Are they serious?! At the back of the restaurant, someone got the ridiculous idea of climbing on the roof. So we did. Seven of us. And threw t-shirts down to the crowd below. Once again insanity insued. All for a t-shirt. It was a little exhilarating, as silly as that may sound. To be up that high, all grins, and all eyes on us. Okay I'm not famous. But it really did feel like our almost disastrous float was a huge success. And that was rewarding enough for me.

0 comments: