yahtzee!...

|
I have always loved snow skiing, ever since my first experience as a freshman at Monarch Ski Resort. Somehow I avoided lessons, convincing my parents that my friends could coach me. Soon I was flying down blues, probably crashing occasionally, but having a great time nonetheless. Eventually I learned that snowplowing straight down a slope doesn't exactly count as proper technique. Every year since then I have gotten to ski, but this year was the first time I spent the majority of it with my parents.

We set off early in the morning with a group of kids, whose parents mistakenly trusted me as a sponsor. I got to chill in the back of one of the vans and avoided driving through Denver at all costs. Being the brilliant individual I am, pre-trip I bought a SU DO KU book full of those silly number puzzles. Okay I'll be honest, I am absolutely horrible at them, and have screwed up more than I will ever complete. But somehow I have a firm belief that if I keep practicing and perservering, my brain will get stretched and grow in new ways. Usually I do one or two during the day, to pass time in class. Yes they take me a whole class period. Gads. Anyway, I tore some out and gave them to people to try. My brother beat me done, and it was his first one. I screwed up four in a row, not kidding, with only a few spaces left each time. Perhaps there is no hope for that part of my brain. Quitting is appearing to be a viable option. But moving along...

A few years ago I switched from skis to blades, much to my brother's persuasion, and I love them. Although most skiers look down on the short little skis, there's something to be said about avoiding the mess of poles and also the ease of jumps and tree trails. A little speed is lost due to length, but I usually have no problems keeping up. My parents converted soon after as well. Apparently we're making a difference because ninety percent of our kiddos this trip used them also.

We stayed in two condos close to the Winter Park resort, made breakfast each morning and enjoyed the efforts waking up early to be one of the first few groups on the mountain. I set out with mom and dad and we had a pretty good time tearing up (the tearing up part may be an exaggeration) the slopes. Occasionally I tend to get out of control, trying to go too fast. So I had some nice crashes, but nothing very serious. Mom is a more risk averse than dad and me, so she took up the rear, but together we made a pretty good team. The first day was fairly non-eventful, although fun. Day two, however, got a little more interesting. Dad's terrain park adventure will be soon to come.

0 comments: