i've got sunshine...

|

Back in the day. Waaaaay back - think Eighth-Grade-twelve-years-ago-ack!-back - my Dad (and Mom) took a great big leap of faith. Dad was working at the gas company. To my youthful understanding, his job consisted of recording meter readings, fixing things that broke, and occasionally going on calls out of town to fix other things that broke. Now, Dad is insanely amazing at fixing broken things, but working there didn't bring him fulfillment. He was dissatisfied, longing, missing something. He and Mom prayed. And prayed and prayed. And eventually made the decision to leave his job, go back to school, and eventually start his own business in heating and air-conditioning. I can't tell this story without mentioning how truly incredible of a feat this was on my parents' end. Picture this: Mom, working at the hospital as an administrative assistant (equals great benefits, not-so-great pay), Dad, now out of work and paying for tuition. He temporarily moves to a different small town in Western Kansas and lives in the dorms on campus. Yep. Living in the dorms at age 39, Dad moved in with a 20-something roommate and began his college life. This also means our family now had a more measly income than it did before. And we seemed to manage okay. I don't remember being traumatized over much (okay, maybe I threw a few fits about not getting to have numerous pairs of jeans from the Buckle or being forced to buy my own Dr. Martens, but other than that... - I mean come ON Mom! I'm going to be in high school next year and in order to have any chance of being socially accepted because of super-artificial qualities like brand name clothing, expensive jeans and shoes are my only hope - DUH!). I actually was traumatized by one thing. Turkey. Momma made too much turkey for Thanksgiving (gobs of way too much turkey) that year and she loaded up ours and Dad's freezer full of turkey surprise leftover meals. We had turkey noodle soup, turkey casseroles, turkey enchiladas, turkey + anything else that's in the pantry is fair game meals. You name it, just switch out the typical protein of choice with... gobble gobble. Yes, I'm scarred. I just recently started eating turkey again. Thanksgiving has never been the same.

I don't know what it was really like for Mom and Dad during this year of Dad at college. I just know it had to be hard. Crazy, challenging, difficult, lonely. Dad came home every weekend. He drove two and a half hours one way, arrived home late Friday evenings, spent time with us, then headed back Sunday night. Every single weekend. He didn't even miss a single volleyball/basketball game I played. IN EIGHTH GRADE! Have you watched eighth graders play either of those sports lately? Sorry, I had to pause from typing to stifle a yawn. We played our best, but we were hardly super-star athletes. And Dad traveled to watch every game, rain or shine. Hello, unconditional love and support. I hope one day I'm able to understand that kind of dedication and sacrifice. I'm absolutely thankful for all the sacrifices Mom and Dad made throughout that year. What a doozy. Then, almost as quickly as he began, Dad graduated - top of his class! He moved back home, and he and Mom started the new adventure of owning their own business.

I share this with you in order to help you understand, maybe a little more fully, where I'm coming from. My parents and their life are one of my greatest inspirations. Not just because of what they have accomplished in building a business - that's not even the half of it. It's because of who they are as role models, teachers, risk-takers. They have allowed me to grow and be challenged. They make time to be together, and always make time for our family. They sacrifice - their time, their energy, their plans - in order to build stronger relationships, friendships and family. They put God first. And they allow us to dream. They understand money is not the important thing. Success is not the important thing. They even recognize security, in the traditional sense, is not the most important thing. Instead, being wise with what you've been given and living a life of fulfillment - surrounded by those who support you, love you, make time to be with you - is what matters. Finding your talents and treasures and sharing them with the world is important. Being in relationship is extremely important. Life is in those things.

And that, my friend, is why, after six years with an incredible company, an amazing brand and wonderful people to work with, it's time for me to say goodbye, and follow the call - the unexplainable pull - to find a life of fulfillment - in family, relationships, work, and play.

Thank you Mom and Dad for your sacrifices and love in showing us what's important in life. I am insanely grateful for your unending support of my crazy dreams. I want to be just like you when I grow up. Ummm... if I ever grow up.

0 comments: