do these ten layers make me look fat?

|

So I've had a hectic life lately (I won't use the busy excuse, but really, life's been a little crazy). Actually, I think in the last three weeks I've only worked 2.5 days. Which is kind of like a really long vacation, but parts of it weren't so much vacation-like. But anyway, I've grounded myself from the internet for awhile to be productive. And I guess it's worked. Because I had today off and probably spent five hours glued to my leather seat. And accomplished little but some photo editing and blog posts. Bleh. At least I was able to rest my sore skiing muscles. Which basically means my entire body. So I wanted to fill in the details of this weekend's adventures, if you care to know. And maybe so when I get old I'll be able to look back and remember those good ol' days.

Shawndra flew in late Friday afternoon. She came to visit, but she was also on a mission - quality girl time (no bf's allowed) and a chance to conquer the mountain. I couldn't have been happier. To top it off my cousins had also planned a trip and were getting here late that night. We all cozied around the fireplace, drank wine, and laughed our hineys off, because you put those two boys together... so much for making it to bed early. We rose at 4am bushy tailed to shower and pack. I really was bright eyed. Possibly more than a kid at Christmas. We made it out by 6am (there was a LOT to get ready, especially since we stayed the night in Summit County) and to the slopes before they opened. Day one was a learning experience, as Shawndra put up with a not-so-good ski instructor (me), the afternoon got windy and cold, and we headed to the hotel to warm up.

A friend of mine joined us for dinner out on the town. The food was expensive, but really not so delicious. It didn't really matter because the atmosphere was so darn happy. I can't really describe it any other way. I was surrounded by people I love who were chatting and laughing and sharing stories. And I was just happy - like a big hole was being filled up. Of course after eating we were ready to get our party on so we headed down the road, destination unknown. Sometimes life is more fun when you fly by the seat of your pants. Maybe most of the time I even prefer it that way.

Breckenridge was nine miles out and has a reputation for an awesome after slope hours entertainment, so off we went. En route I remembered I actually knew someone from there and he would know which places to hit. Commercial: On my flight to Florida last month I sat by a guy my age who was incredibly nice and had an intense zest for life, meaning party, ski, party, party, ski, work, party, etc. He was a spoiled, pampered frat boy flying to visit his parents and old friends, and he couldn't have been nicer. Incredibly friendly and down to earth. At the end of the flight he gave me his card and invited me and any friends to crash at his place if we were ever in the area. I knew I'd never call him , but I kept the card anyway. I suppose sometimes you never know... so that night we called him.

We ended up at a bar with a band playing live music, and they were awesome. I could have listened for hours, but eventually we started back to the hotel (much to the boy's disappointment). I was not looking forward to waking the next morning. Yikes.

Sunday skiing was more than perfect. The weather was ridiculously gorgeous, and runs were wide open. I skied with Kate, and Shawndra took professional lessons (with much more success than my teaching skills provided). Besides some cold feet (mine... big surprise) we were happy, and by the end of the day, absolutely exhausted. The drive home was long, with all the day's skiers and boarders from numerous mountains filtering onto I-70, and of course about halfway home I had to pee like, well, like me, like I always do. I refused to exit in order not lose our spot in the traffic jam, but I'm pretty sure my bladder hates me now. If it could only stretch out a little...

Anyway, Shawndra left Monday morning and has officially made it back to KC safely. Yay! We had a wonderful time (despite some bumps and bruises) and I'm so happy that she gave the sport a whirl! She's a very determined girl, of which I am extremely proud, and can't wait to bring her up the mountain again someday.

Thanks Shawndra! And the cousins and Kate! 'Twas an excellent weekend journey.

If you want to see some photos of the trip check out a couple of posts ago. The pic here is Shawndra and I re-enacting how I helped her up after a fall. It's down to an art.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous... sounds like you had a blast. Congratulations on passing that crappy test. The snow here sucks, nothing like the fluffy greatness that I know it can be.

-Ryan