shiver me timbers...

|
Holy monkeys it is snowing out there! Denver looks like a postcard today - everything is covered in snow and sparkling. Of course it looked prettier through my window than it felt walking to my car... but I'm ready for winter. No snow = no skiing, so you know where my heart's at.

Anyway, I am all snuggled up ready to battle the cold - flannel pants, oversized hoodie, and worn out slippers are necessary wardrobe items when attempting to not use the furnace. Current thermostat reading... 61 degrees. But I'm holding out. Perhaps until I wake up with blue lips or frozen boogies. It will most likely go on after that.

I wanted to share some quick highlights regarding the wonderful weekend I recently spent in Wichita. I had an awesome, awesome time and, besides the $62 spent in airport parking, the trip couldn't have been better.

Brian's mom picked me up (Godsend) and we kept company for a couple of hours waiting for the still almost newly weds to arrive. I felt like I was talking to a long lost friend - her insight and thoughtfulness was so encouraging and uplifting.

Saturday was entirely planned around college football. Our alarms were set to the pregame show (forgive me if I get some of this sport mumbo-jumbo wrong) and two televisions were carried to the basement in order to fully capture numerous team's activities - ending up with three total. Now I always thought I could multi-task, but attempting to watch three games at once is a feat I may never conquer.

Brian's mom spoiled us with a deluxe indoor tailgate, including everything from lil' smokies (my guilty pleasure) to fruits (with Ashley's amazing fruit dip), veggies, cheese dip, and more.

The main event was the Ohio State game - as their family is chalk full of die hard fans. No really, I mean it. I thought I'd seen intense K-State fans, but you college boys have nothing on them. Although I could get into more detail, it will suffice to say I was gently encouraged to change into Crimson clothing (don't worry - my KSU tee was underneath) we did push-ups everytime they scored (of course they're so good we girls eventually had to start doing sit-ups and even the dog joined in), Bruno, the stuffed mascot would sing the fight song, and we weren't allowed to nap until half-time. I loved every second of it - I was so happy to finally take part in the tradition I've heard about for so long!

That night we went to a haunted house. Which turned out to be a haunted forest, which is in many ways, much creepier. Now, I can look at scary people, or see creepy things, but I HATE loud noises (I know I know, Brick and I have something in common). It completely freaks me out. I get all jumpy and scream and then my heart races... you know. I was doing okay until the blasted chainsaw guy comes roaring out behind me from the middle of nowhere. I jolted so fast that Ashley and I bonked heads and kept screaming. That was probably enough Halloween for me all wrapped up into a half hour. I had a sore throat by the time we were finished. Whew.

Sunday my little bro came and picked me up. I was so happy to see him! We hung out until it was flying time, and we made our way to the airport. Actually we made our way around Wichita all day with no map, no idea of where anything was. And we found things quite successfully. Besides the time we went around the same block three times. But really it was impressive.

I apologize that this kept getting longer and longer - there is so much to share. I was also going to pass along the story of a very blonde moment I had at about 10:30 this evening. But that will just have to wait for another entry. Or perhaps I will spare myself and avoid mentioning it at all.

Thanks to everyone for making my weekend such a success! You have no idea how much your kindness and friendship means to me. I miss you already!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had a great time and look forward to spending more time with you in the future. Everything about this weekend was perfect and we enjoyed sharing the Buckeye spririt with you. I know we threw a lot of new stuff at you but I do have to point out two minor things...I don't think Brutus Buckeye would be too happy that you called the scarlet shirt crimson ;-) Haha...I will cut you some slack, it was your first experience with us and I'm sure it was very overwhelming! Go Buckeyes!

Rae said...

Oh crap! I made two major boo-boos in this post. (Thank goodness I included a disclaimer.) First of all, the mascot's name should have been Brutus, not... ahem... Bruno. And secondly their colors are scarlet and gray, not crimson. Oops. I stand corrected.

But it did kind of make me laugh... shows I have a lot to learn in the Buckeye world - my apologies go out to the fans :)

Thanks Brian!

Anonymous said...

We'll work on it...you are still one of my big rocks in life.